Section One – Club Definition
The ‘Club That Really Likes Anime’ of the University of Waterloo, otherwise known as CTRL-A and hereafter referred to as “the club”, is an organisation formed to promote interest in animation, predominately of Japanese origin and to serve those members of the University community with this and related interests.
1.02 Statement of Ethics
The club shall not endorse or practice activities such as violence, racism, hatred, or sexism, or which violate the Ontario Human Rights Code. Showing, reviewing, discussing, or creating artistic work is not endorsement or practice of activities described or depicted in the artistic work.”
Section Two – Terms of Membership
2.01 Full Members
Full members of the club shall be those members who have paid the club membership fee for the period of time in question. Full members of the club shall be entitled to:
- vote at and take full part in all meetings of the club;
- stand for and hold, in accordance with applicable regulations and procedures, any elected or appointed position within the club; and
- in accordance with any applicable regulations and restraints, utilise the resources of and participate in any event sponsored by the club.
2.02 Honorary Members
Honorary members of the club shall be those persons designated as such by three-quarters majority vote of members present at any meeting of the club. Such persons of the club shall retain the title for life unless removed by a three-quarters majority vote of members present at any meeting of the club. Honorary members of the club shall be accorded all the privileges granted to Full members above.
Guests shall be any non-member of the club who attend an event sponsored by the club. Guests may be permitted to attend events sponsored by the club, as outlined in the club procedures. In other respects guests do not have the privileges accorded to any of full or honorary members.
2.04 Members Bound by By-Laws
All members shall, by accepting membership, be deemed to have notice of and to agree to be bound by all rules and regulations duly made thereto or hereafter to be made by the club or a majority of the executive including, but not limited to, the club constitution and all club by-laws.
2.05 Disciplinary Matters
The club shall be empowered to revoke all rights and privileges of any member, without restitution, at a meeting of the club, providing notice of such a meeting is be given to the member at least seven days prior to the date of the meeting. Any such vote shall require a two-thirds majority. Any reinstatement of the member shall be subject to review by the executive.
Section Three – Club Officers
3.01 Club Officers
The club shall be managed by the club officers, who shall number no fewer than five and no more than thirteen. These officers shall be elected by the membership of the club. Each of these officers, acting on behalf of and responsible to the membership of the club, shall have vested in them certain powers as detailed in this document and in the appropriate bylaws in order to perform their assigned duties, which shall be detailed along with their powers.
3.02 Term of Office
Club officers shall have a term of office extending from the date of their election to the last day of the academic term in which they were elected. Notwithstanding this, however, club officers shall continue to hold their position on an interim basis from the expiry of their terms of office to the date of the election of their successors in the following academic term.
3.03 Election of Officers
Club elections shall occur at the first meeting of each academic term for all officer positions and also as necessary in order to fill any officer positions that become vacant.
3.04 Election Procedures
At such time as an election is required, nominations shall be held at the next convened meeting of the club. No more than two weeks following the aforementioned meeting, there shall be convened a meeting of the club in order to hold the required election(s). At this time nominations shall be closed. All full members of the club present shall be entitled to cast exactly one vote for each contested position. All elections shall be decided by a plurality of votes cast.
3.05 Executive Officers
There shall be five elected executive officers for the club, namely the President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and External Relations Officer. The executive offices of the club must be filled at all times. In addition, three of the five executive officers must be University of Waterloo undergraduate students. The powers and responsibilities of the executive officers of the club shall be defined in this document. A member may hold only one executive office at one time.
The president of the club shall
- be the chief executive officer of the club;
- act as chairman at all meetings of the club at which they are present;
- represent the club and the membership thereof to organisations and at gatherings where such representation is necessary;
- coordinate and facilitate the actions of the other officers of the club; and
- oversee and administer any activities of the club not specifically under the control of any other club officer.
The vice president of the club shall
- act as chairman at all meetings of the club at which the president is not present;
- assume all powers and duties of the president when and while such position is vacant; and
- with the assistance of the President, be responsible for organising the main events of the club.
The secretary of the club shall
- be responsible for the maintenance of all non-financial records of the club including, but not necessarily limited to, the minutes of all meetings, lists, and club correspondence; and
- be responsible for keeping an up-to-date list of non-financial club assets.
The treasurer of the club shall
- generally administer the finances of the club;
- be responsible for keeping accurate and complete records of the financial transactions of the club;
- prepare and present to a meeting a budget for the operations of the club during each academic term by the end of the first month of the said term;
- prepare and present to a meeting a final summary of the club finances by the end of the academic term; and
- upon the request of any member, report upon the financial affairs of the club at any meeting thereof.
3.10 External Relations Officer
The external relations officer of the club shall:
- handle all regular communication between the club and groups in the anime industry and the media; and
- organise the sign-up and participation of the club in promotional programs of companies in the anime industry.
3.11 Other Officers
The club may, at its discretion, define other officer positions in the bylaws of the club. Officer positions which are not executive officers may be vacant, in which case the responsibilities of the office shall pass to the appropriate executive officer. Any bylaw which defines an officer position must contain the powers and responsibilities of that officer, and which executive officer shall assume the duties of the office if it lies vacant.
3.12 Temporary Officers
If it desires, the club may create new offices for a single academic term by resolution, so long as the resolution clearly defines the powers and responsibilities of the office. Should the club wish to make an office created by resolution permanent, it must pass a bylaw by the end of the academic term that defines the office.
3.13 Signing Officers
Contracts, documents or any other instruments in writing requiring the signatures of the club shall be signed by any two signing officers consisting of either the President, Vice-President, Treasurer or Secretary and all contracts, documents and instruments in writing so signed shall be binding upon the club without further authorisation or formality. The club shall have the power by resolution to appoint any member club officer on behalf of the club to sign specific contracts, documents and/or instruments in writing. Such contracts, documents or instruments shall require the prior approval of the club.
Section Four – Meetings
There shall be convened, from time to time, meetings of the membership of the club in order to generally oversee the activities and conduct business of the club. These meetings are hereafter referred to as “club meetings”.
4.02 Power of the Assembly
During club meetings the assembly shall have all powers vested in the executive of the club, including the power to examine, rescind and otherwise deal with any decision of the executive.
4.03 Calling a Meeting
Club meetings may be called by
- majority of members present at any club meeting; or
- a majority of the executive officers of the club.
4.04 Notice of Meetings
Notice of any club meeting shall be given to the membership of the club at least twenty-four hours in advance of the said meeting.
- for the members-at-large for any club meeting shall be the minimum number of members required to form a majority over the executive present.
- for the executive officers for any club meeting shall be no less than three, including at least one of the president or vice president.
All procedures at any club meeting shall be conducted by consensual agreement (of two-thirds majority) until and unless it is requested by a member that Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised be implemented, in which case they will be, insofar as such provisions are in accordance with established usages and regulations of the club.
4.07 Absentee Voting
No member shall be permitted to vote in absence at a meeting, either via absentee ballot or proxy.
Section Five – Financial
In order to insure authorised accounting of club funds, all withdrawals from the club treasury, in whatever form that shall be, shall require the signatures of at least two signing officers as defined in Section 3.13. In addition, receipts produced by club members for reimbursement shall require the initials of at least two members of the executive.
Section Six – By-Laws
The membership of the club shall be empowered to enact by-laws not contrary to any provision of this document to govern or regulate any aspects of the affairs and operations of the club.
Notice of any motion to enact, amend or repeal a by-law of the club shall be given at a club meeting no less than five days before the meeting at which the matter is to be considered.
Any motion subject to the above provision must be approved by a two-thirds majority of members present at the time of consideration in order to take effect.
Section Seven – Amendments
The membership of the club shall be empowered to, from time to time and as it sees fit, amend the constitution of the club.
7.02 Notice of Amendment
Notice of any motion to amend the constitution of the club shall be given at a club meeting no less than fourteen days before the meeting at which the matter is to be considered.
7.03 Approval of Amendments
Any motion subject to the above provision must be approved by a three-quarters majority of members present at the time of consideration in order to take effect.