May 21 And So, We Aim Towards the Top
With our first show last weekend, we are well underway to another great term of anime fun-times. I hope everyone was able to make it and had a great time while doing so.
Here are the events to look forward to this week:
- Tuesday Meeting: Tuesday, May 21, 6PM, MC 4063. Because of the Victoria Day holiday, the meeting has been deferred. Other than that, business as usual. It is likely that Anime North plans will be discussed at this meeting.
- Project Night: Wednesday, May 22, 6PM, SLC 2134/2135. Last chance for any Anime North-related projects. Or maybe get a head-start on any looming assignments so you aren’t distracted this weekend. Or just come hang out. Your call.
That’s it for this week. There is no show or games night this weekend, because Anime North! If you’re an anime fan in the area, I probably don’t need to explain Anime North to you, but you can check out their website if you’ve somehow gone this long without learning of it. There are two items of note for CTRL-A at Anime North:
- Sushi Lunch: Sunday, May 26, 1:30PM, Sushi-Ya. This is right near Anime North. See the location here. As is tradition, all CTRL-A members in the area are invited to a group lunch on Sunday. Keep an eye on this forum thread up to the event in case any details change. Hope to see you there!
- Pokémon Gym Leader Squad: The PGLS will have a table in the Sheraton Hotel for the full duration of the convention. You can bring your 5th-generation Pokémon game and challenge us to battles to win badges. Or just come and say hi.
That’s it for this week. Have fun!
Dylan “Anime Relatively Far North I Suppose” Mead
May 8 Summer Term 2013!
Welcome to another amazing term at CTRL-A. If you are a first time member, we hope you enjoy your stay and continue to attend our events for years to come. These news posts don’t do a great job of explaining exactly who we are or what we do, so if you are unfamiliar with us, please refer to the FAQ to answer any questions you might have.
First of all, here is all of our upcoming events.
- Games Night: Friday, May 10, 4:30PM, MC 4058. Our first games night of the term. They will re-occur every non-show Friday until the end of classes. Board games, video games, card games, all yo’ games. Play your games. Play other people’s games. As long as it involves games, we’re game. Now let’s game.
- Monday Meeting: Monday, May 13, 6PM, MC 4063. Our first normal meeting of the term. If you were at the first meeting, know that our meetings aren’t usually so long or involved. We use them to discuss club matters; in particular items that require a club vote. So if you want to be involved with the club on an administrative level, and not just on a “watch anime” level, these are the place to be.
- Project Night: Wednesday, May 15, 6PM, SLC 2134/2135. Project nights are the CTRL-A all-purpose social nights. You can bring any projects you are working on: cosplay, a game concept, homework, what have you, and do it with other folks around to hang out with. It’s great way to make new friends. You can also just play games if you want.
- Clubs Days: Thursday, May 16 and Friday, May 17, 10AM to 3PM, SLC Great Hall. Near the beginning of every term, FEDS holds an event geared towards Clubs and Societies. As is tradition, CTRL-A will have a table, and will be available to answer your questions about the club. For long-time members, feel free to come to the table and help out.
- Show 1: Friday, May 17, 4:30PM to 10PM, M3 1006 and Saturday, May 18, 2:30PM to 9PM, EIT 1015. And the moment you’ve all been waiting for. Show 1 arrives in style. The schedule is a work-in-progress, but you can find it here once it’s available. As is the norm, we will be operating a concession stand for your snack and drink-related needs, and for the dinner break each day, pizza will be available for purchase. Our anime shows are a great opportunity to watch some great anime. Maybe you’ll discover an anime that you never would have watched on your own. And you can talk to people about it on the breaks between shows, as well. A great way to meet other anime fans.
Here are the planned dates for the anime shows for this term:
May 17 & 18
June 7 & 8
June 21 & 22
July 12 & 13
And here are the election results from the first meeting:
- President: Josh
- Vice-President: Riel
- Secretary: Jordy
- Treasurer: Karl
- External: Alcina
- Webmaster: Dylan
- E-Comm: Will
- Concessions: Jordy
- Publicity: Jess
- Activities: Jon
For info and contact information for each of these positions (either to get help or to assign blame), please refer to the Exec Positions summary page. You can also recall this list at any time on the Current Exec page.
And so ends the Summer 2013 introductory news post. I hope you enjoy keeping cool over the summer months with CTRL-A. If you require any further assistance, you can send an email to one of the execs, email our general contact address, comment on this news post, or make a thread on our forum. We strive to be as accessible as possible, so please do not hesitate to contact us.
You can expect new news posts on this site every Sunday/Monday, starting from the 19th/20th. Until then, have a good one.
Dylan “Eternal Webmaster” Mead
May 5 The Cycle Continues
Hey, everyone. I hope your exams went okay and you had a great vacation. The term is starting anew, and whether for you that means more school, a co-op term, or perhaps nothing at all, CTRL-A is here to answer your social woes.
Come see us for our very first meeting of the term, which is this Monday, May 6 at 6PM in MC 4063. Our first meetings tend to be rather long, but they are important, for two reasons. The first is our general elections, wherein a new executive is elected. If you want to cast your vote on who to see in charge, you need to be at this meeting. You can also come to the meeting and run for an executive position yourself. Officer positions are open to any0ne who’s previously been a member. If you’ve been an officer once already, you can run for our executive positions, which include the lucrative title of Club President. (Very exciting.) For more details on these roles, read here. For information on our bylaw covering elections, please read the Election Requirements bylaw on this page.
The second thing we tend to do at the first meeting of every term is pick anime to watch for the term. The highest voted TV shows will be used as continuing series, with lower-voted ones being considered for samplers. If you want to make a case for an anime you like, or if you want to cast your vote for what we watch this term, come to this meeting. It may just be the most important thing you do this term. (Probably not, but it sounds dramatic, doesn’t it?)
See you on the other side!
Dylan “Votin’ time” Mead
Apr 8 Finish!
The term wrapped up this last weekend with some rousing karaoke and hot pot fun. I hope you had a great time.
See the term off for good with our final event:
- Monday Meeting: Monday, April 8, 6PM, RCH 306. This is our last meeting, and our last event until early May when the summer term kicks off. I hear that there is talk of a Mel’s Diner visit afterwards, so it should be a good time, even if you don’t often go to meetings.
And that is it from me for the next month or so. So until then, good luck with final exams, and have a great month!
Dylan “Very much against humanity” Mead
Apr 1 EOT Can Be Wonderful
Sure, exams can suck, but we have some great events to get you through this hard time. Our EOT weekend schedule, in addition to our other regular events, are as follows:
- Monday Meeting: Monday, April 1, 6PM, RCH 306. Yes, it is actually happening. I won’t let this silly holiday get in the way of good information.
- Project Night: Wednesday, April 3, 6PM, SLC 3103. This is the last official project night of the term. (Oh no!) So be sure to be there!
- ‘From Up On Poppy Hill’ Movie Night: Thursday, April 4, 7PM, Princess Cinemas Waterloo. Come watch the latest Ghibli movie! This isn’t the only showing, but this is the one that members of CTRL-A are conspiring to go to, so this is the one you ought to see.
- Karaoke Night: Friday, April 5, 4:30PM, AL 116. A once-per-term tradition! Sing your favourite anime-related songs and let everyone else hear your beautiful singing voice. No judgments, even if you think you’re a bad singer. We’re all just there to have fun. So come have fun! Make your song requests here.
- Hot Pot: Saturday, April 6, Jon’s place, 4:30PM. For the location details, check out the forum thread here. The eating of food will commence at 6PM. Everyone present will contribute to the cost of food, so if you want some food, give $5 to Jon upon arrival. After food, there will be much gaming. More gaming than Jon’s place has room for. So don’t miss it!
Lots of fun to have. Also, if you aren’t exhausted by Sunday, come on by to the Waterloo Video Game Swap on Sunday and challenge the Pokemon Gym Leader Squad!
Dylan “The Opportunistic” Mead