WATERLOO, Ont. (Saturday Oct. 27, 2012) – The University of Waterloo’s Club That Really Likes Anime is celebrating its twentieth year with public screenings of anime dedicated to the history and growth of the anime culture. Anime ranging from the famous to the niche, this event will include a cosplay cafe, games, anime-themed activities, contests, music, food, and family-friendly fun.
Time: Saturday October 27, 2012, 12 noon to midnight
Location: Arts Lecture Hall, University of Waterloo, 200 University Ave, Waterloo, Ontario
Who: Open to the public, as well as past and present CTRL-A members
Poster (PDF) Hope to see everyone at the show!
- Anime screening rooms (retrospective and themed slots)
- Gaming (Board, Cards, Video)
- Tournament (Weiss Schwarz)
- Cosplay Cafe
- Cosplay Contest
- Group Photo
- Flea Market
- Anime-themed activities
Anime Showing Schedule
Two showing rooms
- “Best of” CTRL-A anime screening room
- CTRL-A kid’s show/ anime screening room
Showing Schedule (PDF)
Events and Activities Schedule
Event Schedule (PDF)
The group photo will take place before the dinner break, most likely between 5PM and 6PM.
Delightful light snacks and conversation with our servers in cosplay, and other patrons. The hours of the cafe is between 1PM and 5PM, with final seating at 4:45PM.
It’s getting close to Halloween, or maybe you don’t even need an excuse to dress up. Now is your chance to shine! The cosplay contest will be judged based on creativity, accuracy, as well as how in character you are. Anyone is welcome to join.
This will be held during the dinner break from 6PM to 7PM.
Note: this is a family-friendly event, so please use your judgement as to who to cosplay as.
- Video Gaming- Wii Family Games, PS3
- BYOHandhelds- 3DS, DS, PSP, Vita freeplay (Mario Kart and Monster Hunter, anyone?)
- Board gaming- We are happy to announce that WatSFiC (University of Waterloo’s Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Gaming Club) will be hosting the board gaming activities. Casual board games, feel free to bring your own along to play.
- Weiss Schwarz Tutorial and Free Play- learn to play the popular Japanese card game, Weiss Schwarz.
- Weiss Schwarz Tournament – If you are planning on attending the tournament, you can register anytime before the tournament has started (including the day of the event itself). An English translation of your deck, while not absolutely necessary, would be greatly appreciated by the participants who cannot read Japanese. The ruleset is Neo-Standard, and the most current ban list will apply.
See the event schedule above to see what time the events will be starting.
- Anime Name That Tune
- Take A Step If…
- Pokemans Pictionary/ Name That Pokemon
- Cosplay Contest
- Hare Hare Yukai Dance Session
Have some anime, manga, figures, and other goodies lying around you want to sell? This is the place for you! You will be responsible for your own items and cash box. If you need a break, you can ask one of the volunteers to watch over your stuff for a bit. Please email us your name and your estimated time of arrival ahead of time.
The event will be running from 1PM to 4PM only.
Rules: this must be stuff you bought yourself, direct vendors and stores are not allowed.
Arts and Crafts
Emiko colouring sheets, origami, papercraft mask activities for all ages.
This event is free, and open to the public.
How to find us
Get to University of Waterloo’s main campus
- from Highway 401 take Exit 278 (from Toronto) or Exit 278B (from London) to Highway 8 West, Kitchener.
- exit at Highway 85 to Waterloo
- exit at University Avenue West
- University of Waterloo is at University Avenue and Seagram Drive
From Pearson International Airport, Toronto: Take Highway 427 South, exit at Highway 401 West, and follow directions above
- Airways Transit (from Pearson Airport, Toronto)
- GO Transit
- Grand River Transit; routes 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, and 29, Late Night Loop and iXpress, reach the main campus.
- Greyhound Bus Lines (station: Kitchener)
- Region of Waterloo International Airport
- Via Rail (station: Kitchener)
Find your way when you’re here
- A campus map is available online or in printable versions:
- Virtual campus tour